What can go wrong with your radiator?
Looking for radiator service in Portland? Accurate Auto can help. Here are some common issues to watch out for:
- Radiators can overheat if the coolant flow is blocked or doesn’t have adequate fluid. Watch for low fluid levels and/or leaking anti-freeze (which can be toxic to animals and children!).
- Leaks or broken hoses can cause the system to shut down, causing the temperature of the car to rise to dangerous levels almost immediately. The engine must be allowed to cool down before you operate the vehicle. CAUTION: Be very, very cautious when checking: Opening a hot radiator drops the system pressure, which may cause it to boil and spew dangerously hot liquid and steam.
- The water pump which moves the coolant can break.
- The system can be obstructed, often by dents or body damage from an accident.
- The radiator fan can fail. This will be most noticeable at low speeds.
How do you fix a radiator?
Accurate Auto is your top choice for radiator repair in Portland. Our friendly technicians will diagnose the problem and ensure that you get the possible radiator service.
- Accurate Auto will check all hoses, the fan, the pump and other components.
- Most often, radiators need to be replaced, rather than repaired since the heat component makes it difficult to patch. Our technicians can diagnose the best, most cost-effective option for you.
How can you keep your radiator in good working order?
Accurate Auto recommends car owners consider the following issues to keep their radiator working well:
- Maintain an adequate level of coolant, particularly during hot weather or on long drives.
- Visit Accurate Auto to have your radiator hoses checked and replaced periodically, as they become worn and can fail over time.
- If there is a dangerous rise in temperature, allow the system to cool down before taking it to a trusted auto repair shop, such as Accurate Auto. CAUTION: Opening a hot radiator drops the system pressure, which may cause it to boil and spew dangerously hot liquid and steam.
Accurate Auto can make sure that your radiator is in great shape to keep your car cool and functioning.
Radiators are designed to cool internal combustion engines. As the various parts of the car’s engine move, they create friction which causes heat. The radiator pumps coolant, a mixture of water and antifreeze, through the engine and cylinder head to helps keep the engine block cool.
The radiator transfers the heat from the fluid inside to the air outside, thereby cooling the fluid, which in turn cools the engine. Radiators are positioned so they receive airflow from the forward movement of the vehicle.
A radiator does not contain any electronic parts of its own—special sensors register the temperature of the coolant as it exits. Engine coolant does not have to be especially cool in order to be effective, so there is usually a wide range of temperatures considered to be within normal parameters. If anything goes wrong with the radiator itself, such as a leak or broken hose, the operating temperature of the car can reach a dangerous level within minutes. The engine must be allowed to cool down naturally before the vehicle can be driven safely to a mechanic.